Monday, August 31, 2009

Olfactory Overload

I've heard people say that certain songs can trigger emotions and memories in a person. I know that is true because it does happen to me, on occasion. What I experience more, though, is scents doing the same thing. Just one whiff of a random smell can send me reeling. It makes me remember.

Things I want to remember.

Things I shouldn't want to remember.

Things I just shouldn't remember.


For instance, last night I stepped outside to take some movies back to the video store. There was something in the air last night that took me back to West Branch. I had to stop for a moment and just close my eyes. When I opened them again and looked up at the stars, I might as well have been there.


A few months ago, I was suddenly taken to a street in Mytilini. I don't remember where I was or even what the scent was, but it was there.


I have to avoid going out after a summer rain. As much as I love the scent, it takes me to a place I shouldn't go, not because of a bad memory, but because of a good one. One of the ones I shouldn't have. Losing myself in it is never a good thing.


Then again, sometimes it is nice to have something in yourself that you don't share with anyone. It's mine and mine alone.


It is just me?

No comments: